Eggplant/Brinjal fry is a very famous preparation in most parts of India. However, it is particularly popular in Bengal where it is known as Begun Bhaja. It has very few spices added to highlight the eggplant flavor. The marinated eggplant roundels can be pan fried or grilled. You will be amazed at how this simple preparation gives such a fantastic output. You should try it out to believe.
Eggplant is a fruit, shaped like an egg. Eggplant, a nightshade, is related to tomatoes, potatoes and sweet peppers. Eggplants have plenty of minerals and vitamins, as well as antioxidant compounds that may reduce cholesterol. Frying eggplant is 1 way to prepare this healthy and nutritious fruit. There are several varieties of eggplant, and in Asia, they grow smaller plants and fry them whole.
- Eggplant (Brinjal) – 1 (Very Big)
- Chilly powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Garam masala – a pinch (optional)
- Salt – as needed
- Lemon – 1/2
- Oil – as needed (preferably mustard oil)
- Cut the eggplant into thin circles.
- Season the eggplant circles with the above seasonings.
- Shallow fry the eggplant in a griddle.
- Flip the eggplant when once side browns.
- When both the sides are browned, remove from griddle and add few drops of lemon juice on top.