All of us are aware of the rich nutrient value of Broccoli. I tried to include it our daily diet in numerous ways. Today’s recipe is a simple rice dish which is very flavorful and easy to prepare. It can be served with some pickle and raita. You can make it richer with some tasty side dish.
- Broccoli – 1 crown
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 3 cups
- Coconut milk/Yogurt – ½ cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Whole spices – 1 tsp fennel seeds, 5-6 peppercorns, 1” piece of cinnamon & 1 clove
- Ginger – 1” piece
- arlic – 5 cloves
- Mint Leaves – handful
- Cilantro – handful
- Green Chilies – 4
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Wash and soak the basmati rice while you get the things ready.
- Separate the broccoli into small florets. Peel the skin of the stem and chop it into small strips too. Wash it and keep this aside.
- Grind all the ingredients under ‘To coarsely grind’.
- Heal oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed pan . Add the bay leaf. Add the ground paste and fry for a minute.
- Add the drained rice and fry for another minute.
- Add the coconut milk, lemon juice, salt and water. Bring it to boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and cook for 10- 15 minutes till the rice is almost done.
- Open the lid and mix in the broccoli florets. Reduce the heat to minimum and cover again.
- Let this steam for the next 5-7 minutes before switching off. Keep it covered for another 5 minutes before opening the lid. This time is just sufficient to cook the broccoli while retaining it crunch, color and nutrients.
- Gently fluff with the fork and serve.