Just like the previous dish, this is another famous chicken side dish introduced by the Bunts Community. The word, “Sukka” means dry; hence this side dish can be eaten with Rice, Chappathi or Roti. The main ingredients in this dish are chicken, grated coconut and red chillis. The steps to preparing Chicken Sukka are really easy and if you are able to get the masala paste perfect, then you do not have to worry about the rest of the dish. The taste can vary from individual to individual as some may prefer it to be spicier than others. The number of red chillis used to make the paste makes a huge difference in the overall taste of the Chicken Sukka.
- Chicken – 1 lb (1/2 kg)
- Onion – 1/2 ( diced in medium sized pieces)
- Red Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander/dhania powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder -¼ tsp
- Yogurt(curd) -2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste -1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – (for garnishing)
1. Wash and cut chicken in small pieces.
2. Take a bowl mix chilly powder, pepper powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, garam masala, ginger garlic paste, yogurt and form a paste. Add the chicken pieces to this and rub at the masala on the chicken. Let this marinate for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
3. Now heat oil in a kadai and saute the chicken. Cover and cook it for 7 minutes or until it is thoroughly cooked.
4.Open the lid and fry on medium high flame for about 6 minutes or until all the water evaporates.
5. Add onions and fry for 2 more minutes.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves, split chillies and lemon or tomato slices .