Jalebi is a fried sweet dipped in a sugar. It is one of the most popular Sweet dishes in India and is found in different parts of the Country. Learn how to make jalebi at home. For a lof of people, it is a classic breakfast item where they have it with Bread or Curd. Some people have it as an after meal dessert. Learn how to make jalebi at home.
Either way, Jalebi is a treat that no one would say no to. Learn how to make jalebi at home by following the simple step by step instructions along with photos of every step. I hope you will love it. Jalebi making is an art and the reward you get at the end of it is sweet – quite literally! The crisp sugary spirals taste brilliant served piping hot along with chilled rabdi. Traditionally a muslin cloth with a hole in it is used to make the spirals in hot oil, but using a squeezy bottle makes it much simpler.
Ingredients for Jalebi Recipe
- Refined flour (Maida) 1 cup
- Yogurt 1/2 cup
- Sugar 3 cups
- Milk 1 tablespoon
- Saffron (kesar) a few
- Ghee for deep-frying
Method for Jalebi Recipe
- In a large bowl, whisk refined flour, yogurt and sufficient water to a smooth and pouring consistency batter. Cover and keep in a warm place to ferment for 24 hours.
- Beat the batter with your hands again for 15 minutes. Cook sugar with 2 cups water in a deep non-stick pan on high heat, stirring continuously, till the sugar dissolves.
- Add milk and when the scum rises to the top, collect it with a ladle and discard.
- Add saffron and cook, stirring, till the syrup reaches one string consistency. Keep the syrup warm. Heat sufficient ghee in a kadai on medium heat.
- Pour some batter onto a jalebi cloth, gather the edges and make a tight potli.
- Squeeze round spirals into the hot ghee and deep fry, turning them over gently a few times, till they are evenly golden and crisp.
- Drain and soak in sugar syrup for 2-3 minutes. Take them out of the syrup and serve hot.